Can You Insure A Car In Another State?

August 27, 2012 in auto insurance, auto insurance bradford, auto insurance bradford pa, auto insurance rates, auto insurance rates bradford, bradford, Bradford PA, bradford pennsylvania, car insurance, car insurance in bradford, car insurance in bradford pa, lower insurance rates

There may be times when you want to insure your car in a state other than where it is registered or where you have your primary residence. While this can be legally done in some states, under very specific circumstances, it cannot be used as a way to circumvent the insurance rates in the state where you live. For example, if you live in one state, but want to falsely claim residence in another state in order to take advantage of their lower insurance rates, you are asking for serious trouble; however, members of the military and college students are often exempt from claiming residence if they are only in the state on a temporary basis.


For most people, you will need to register your vehicle in the state where you live. In addition to registering your vehicle with that state, you will also need to notify your insurance company if you move. If you live in Pennsylvania, your Pennsylvania car insurance rates will be based on a number of factors. In fact, PA car insurance prices take into consideration everything from your age, sex, driving record, where you park, how far you drive to work, your home address and even your credit history and type of vehicle. Your insurance company will certainly want to know where the car is kept as well as who will be the primary driver of the vehicle.


As the primary driver of a vehicle, your Pennsylvania auto insurance rates will be based on your home address and other criteria; however, other drivers and their driving records will also be used to calculate your insurance premiums. This is especially true if you have other adults in your household or if you have children who have reached the legal age to drive. If a driver is a college student who attends college in another state, the primary driver will still need to carry insurance based on their home address. However, if the vehicle is registered in the name of the student, they will generally be able to maintain registration and insurance in their home state, even while attending an out of state college. This can change if the student is employed in another state, so it is important to check with your insurance agent before taking anything for granted.


When you are looking for ways to reduce your Pennsylvania car insurance rates, it is always wise to be honest with your insurance agent. Let them know who will be operating the vehicle, where it will be located and if it will be out of the state for an extended period of time. Your agent can help you find the best way to ensure that you have the proper registration and insurance for your needs. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is transfer title of the vehicle to your adult or college aged child and let them register the vehicle in the state where they are going to college. This can also be a good way to reduce your own insurance premiums.