When you are shopping for Bradford Pennsylvania homeowners insurance there are several types of coverage that should be included. These are the typical types of insurance that you need to have for your home. They are required by most lenders, and you should have them in case you need protection for your property. There are additional types of cheap Pennsylvania home insurance available, but you pay for the additional coverage and they are not typically necessary. In all there are four types of coverage you should have.

Structures on the Property


This type of coverage pays to repair or rebuild your home if it is damaged by fire, wind, hail, or other disasters natural and otherwise listed on the policy. This varies by policy and company, and you can choose in some cases what you want your homeowner’s insurance policy to cover. Flood and earthquake insurance must be purchased separately. When you choose the limits for this type of insurance, it is important that you choose an amount that will be enough to rebuild your home if necessary.


Most Pennsylvania home insurance policies cover structures that are completely detached from the home, example a shed or garage. These structures are typically covered at ten percent of the value of your home policy. So if your home is insured for $100k, your garage will be insured for $10k. You can get more coverage if you find it necessary for an additional cost. The cost to increase this coverage averages $2 for every $1,000 in coverage so it’s well worth your while to insure that nice garage properly.

Personal Belongings


Your personal belongings should be covered in case of theft or damage. This includes your clothing, furniture, electronics, and sporting equipment. You can usually get coverage for up to fifty percent of the coverage on your home. However, certain items such as jewelry may not be insured for their full value unless you purchase a floater or personal property endorsement to add to your policy. Landscaping items such as trees, plants or shrubs are also generally covered for up to five percent of the value of your home coverage.  The most valuable extra you can purchase on personal property coverage is the guaranteed replacement cost endorsement. This coverage allows you to avoid having all your posessions depreciated based on age and condition if you have a claim.  It allows you to go out and purchase all new items exactly like what you had previously.  Many collectibles, jewelry, guns, fine art, money and others get limited coverage under the standard homeowners policy so you’ll need to consult with an agent if you have such items. Many times the extra premium to cover your jewelry, guns, etc. properly is well under $100 a year. The peace of mind you have knowing these items are properly covered is worth the few dollars spent.  Be sure to use an agent with a reputation for honest, ethic business practices.

Liability Coverage


This type of coverage protects you no matter where you are in the world, not just in your home. It covers expenses related to property damage or injury that you or your family causes, including your pets. This type of coverage is usually included in a Pennsylvania homeowner’s insurance policy, even though it does not really apply to your home. The limits usually start at around $100k per occurrence.


This section of your Pennsylvania home insurance policy should also cover any injuries that occur on your property. This is called no fault medical coverage. It usually covers one to five thousand dollars per person for medical expenses related to injuries on your property. However, you cannot use this for your family members or your pets.

Living Expenses


This type of coverage is there in case your home needs to be repaired or rebuilt, and cannot be lived in during that time. The amounts of coverage vary by policy and company, and you can generally choose the limits of this type of coverage. It is important that your Pennsylvania homeowners insurance policy include this coverage, however, as you do not want to be left in the cold with your family if something does happen to your house. Normal policies include this limit based on 20% on the dwelling value. If you had 100K on the home then normally you would have an extra 20K in additional living expenses. Many companies are now upgrading their policies to include this with an unlimited dollar amount.